The Tel Aviv-Yafo resilience strategy deals with inequality, alienation, socio-economic gaps and other critical shocks and stresses.
It ultimately aims to enable the municipality to build a solid society while addressing key urban issues such as climate change, equitable access and participation to public life and resource diversification.
The strategy aims:
- To create togetherness by boosting the city and its residents
- Make the city accessible and equitable while addressing new climate vulnerabilities.
- Reduce the cost of living empowering vulnerable populations, cultivating businesses and promoting a complimentary economy identifying new and innovative mechanisms of operation
- Develop a strong sense of community and promote social responsibility targeted to all those in need
- Connecting to nature and increase environmental sustainability
The Resilience Strategy focuses on five ‘discovery areas’, based on the Tel Aviv City Vision which was also produced in collaboration with 100RC:
- Yafo – developing tools to strengthen trust between Yafo’s residents and the Municipality; fostering collaborations; and improving community life and the public and social order.
- The Southern Coast and Beach – upgrading Tel Aviv-Yafo’s southern coast and beach; leveraging them to build capacity and develop community identity among the local population; cultivating and enhancing existing natural resources and the environment, and improving the quality of the public space.
- Complementary Economy – developing and boosting the city’s local social-economic potential, particularly for disadvantaged groups, small businesses and local initiatives, in Yafo and the southern part of the city.
- Sustainability in the Community – encouraging residents to lead a sustainable lifestyle in order to lower the cost of living and achieve a better quality of life and resilience.
- Social Responsibility through Volunteering – fostering volunteer opportunities as a tool to strengthen social responsibility, develop social cohesion and solidarity, and build trust.